What is Trifle?A trifle is a layered dessert that has its origins in Great Britain . In this case, the delicious dessert is actually tastier than the reputation of “specialties” from the UK. In this country it is offered for afternoon tea or as a dessert .
Even if a classic trifle is conjured up from at least three components, the name does not come from the number three. The name actually comes from English and means “trifle” .
The history of the trifle goes back to the 17th century . At that time it only consisted of whipped cream with pureed fruit.
The classic has evolved over the centuries. Nowadays you start with a layer of sponge cake or crushed biscuits, followed by cream and the top layer of fresh fruit. So everyone gets their culinary fix and the sweet treat is completely independent of the season. Even in winter it is an absolute delicacy with dried fruit and nuts .
The British traditionally serve their trifle in round glass bowls . However, we decided against the classic version for the trifle recipe by filling the portions into glasses. This way you can enchant your guests with the sight of the delicious layers.
Trifle recipe for 2 servings: Vanilla Raspberry Trifle
for the ground:
- 50 g (vegan) cookies, you can also just use any leftover ones
- Zest of half an organic orange
- Zest of half an organic lemon
for the raspberry sauce:
- 150 g frozen raspberries, thawed
- 30 g cane sugar
- 1 pk. vanilla sugar
- 6g corn starch
- 12g water
- 1 cup mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries or whatever you like)
- 1 pack of vegan whipped cream
- 1 pack of Lotao Crispy Coco
- Roughly crumble the biscuits and mix with the lemon zest and orange zest. Briefly toast the crushed cookies in a pan.
- Caramelize the sugar. To do this, heat the sugar in a pan at the highest level until it turns a golden brown color and begins to foam. Quickly add the thawed raspberries along with their liquid.
- Allow the caramel to dissolve, then add the vanilla sugar and stir briefly. Mix the cornstarch with the water and thicken the sauce with the mixed starch and cool.
- Open the lid of the rice pot. Pour boiling water up to the mark. Stir thoroughly immediately. Close the lid again and let it steep for 7 minutes. Stir briefly and let cool.
- Wash berries. Beat the vegan whipped cream with a mixer until stiff. Roughly chop Lotao Crispy Coco.
- Finally, layer the trifle in this order: cookies - rice pot - raspberries and fresh berries - cookies - rice pot - raspberries
- Decorate with whipped cream, berries and chopped Crispy Coco.